Great Days of Summer Vacation!
Enjoy summer and don't worry too much about the little day-to-day things...be clean and tidy, but don't trade time with your kids for things that don't matter. The welfare of their souls is your utmost responsibility and time jets by. If you don't give them your values and your time, someone or something else will. They will bond to someone or something...let it be to you! You will never regret that!!
Just a note: I don't remember my grandparents ever buying me anything or gifting me with things.....but I remember spending every Friday night with them and during the summer, weeks with them. It was wonderful! There's not a day that goes by that I don't refer to them in some way or think of what they told me or how my grandfather could fix anything!! He was a real cowboy and respected women! It was great how he instilled in me respect for myself, as well as did my parents. My grandmother was kindly and sweet. She quietly expressed the "proper" way to do things....although wasn't a nose-in-the-air type at all. She loved me and expressed that in hugs and words. I would that all kids could have grandparents as great as mine! I hope that I can be as loved by my grandchildren as I love my grandparents.
I love my family, always have, always will. AND I MISS "DAD"!! He's going to be home Wednesday. He and Danny have been working 10 hour days in the hot, humid weather of North Dakota, helping a friend out, since the 3rd of July!! Enough is enough!! When Dad's home, no matter what the trouble, he finds a way! Love you all! Mom/Dar


5 Comments:
Sweet post Darla and good advice. I am not good at playing (I am pretty sure I didn't even play when I was a kid) but I could for sure try harder.
I would love for you to give grandma lessons. It has been sad for me to realize that the selfishness doesn't go away when you get older, it makes me know that I need to change now or I will also be like this in 20-30 years.
Thanks, as always, for the thoughts.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oh Amie! You didn't play when you were little?? I didn't do a whole lot, either. I did pretend to be an Indian maiden, after seeing some movie with John Wayne and an Indian "princess"-type with a gorgeous white leather dress bedangled with turquoise beads and matching mocasins...you know the get-up....I'm sure is was all very authentic! Hahahha..anyway, pretend was my middle name. My boys really taught me how to play! One of the funnest things we did was to get out the Arizona Highways magazines with all the centerfold pictures taken out and placed around on the sofas as scenic places we were "going to go to". I then gave the boys each a 6" high toy horse with the cowboys to go along with it all..then we'd plan out what we'd pack in our saddlebags and what we were going to look out for... and then act out with the horses and cowboys "riding the range" and with drawn mustaches on the boys and of course, with their boots and cowboy hats, they'd get right into the story and we'd have a great time! Too bad that stupid Mountain Gay Cowboy movie came out! What a disservice to the real cowboys out there. And they were a great bunch!! They were a tough lot, but they respected womanhood and motherhood...Oh I know, they were a rowdy bunch and their were some pretty low class women out there, but the cowboys respected their mothers and wives, if they had them. At least that's the way my granddad was. I passed all my Granddad's cowboy adventures on to my boys and now to my grandsons....You see, it can be fun. You have to get into it, though. I think James would love it, he's right at the right age!! You two could go out and ride the horses yourselves!! HAhaha...ok I'll go....Thanks again Amie for the fun you bring to my mind!!
What a sweet post Darla! You are a great grandma! It is a balance between keeping the house clean and laundry done or playing with the kids! It is amazing how much the love for me to play with them...even if it is only for 20 minutes, it just seems to safisfy them and get them going on the right path of playing together!
Thanks for all the sweet thoughts!
Great post Mom! I remember you and Mike & Danny playing with those Arizona Highways magazines. Do you remember us cutting out our favorite things out of the Sears catalog and gluing them to a newspaper to create a house scene that included all of our "favorite" things? I was always amazed at how you could just throw together some dough for us to mold.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home